What are AFA’s Educational Tools?
- AFA publishes an educational journal called the Watchbird, long recognized as the premier journal of its type;
- AFA conducts an Annual Convention including a 3- to 4-day-long series of lectures by world authorities and experts on the husbandry, health and conservation status of exotic birds in captivity and in the wild;
- AFA, from time-to-time, publishes special publications addressing timely issues e.g. “A Portfolio of Endangered Species”, “Birds in the Classroom”, and other publications;
- AFA has developed an online, self-paced program to educate aviculturists. Click the logo below to learn more about the Fundamentals of Aviculture!
Fundamentals of Aviculture
Fundamentals of Aviculture Level I
This online course provides a foundation for the emerging science of aviculture. It is presented in nine chapters ranging from anatomy and physiology to avian behavior; from laws and regulations affecting aviculture to how to provide proper housing and prevent illness of birds in our care; and much, much more.
Fundamentals of Aviculture Level II
The Intermediate Aviculture Course is offered in 15 chapters covering conservation and research, courtship and nesting, basic avian genetics, color mutations, hybrids, breeding stimuli, incubation, hand-rearing, non-parrot studies, basic microbiology, illnesses, first-aid, avian enrichment and more. Admission to this Level II course requires that all students complete Level I prior to enrollment. The introductory admission fee for the Level II course will be $75 for current AFA members. Non-members can also purchase a one year membership during admission. See the drop down options on the Payment page.
Development was made possible by a grant from Pet Care Trust
and by funding and other support from the Schubot Exotic Bird Health Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University.
Avian Biology Classroom
AFA’s Avian Biology Classroom (ABC) is available to anyone eager to learn and share the science of aviculture.
Bird clubs, teachers and others who are dedicated to the education of others can download this program and begin learning about the biology of the feathered species with which we share our lives.
Presentation download available as PowerPoint PPT and PDF.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open and view any PDF files.
Module 1-4 files can be downloaded at once with this zip archive, module 5 can be downloaded separately.
Module 1: Scientific Method
Module 2: Characteristics of Life
- Characteristics of Life (.ppt)
- Characteristics of Life (.pdf)
- Characteristics of Life Notes (.pdf)
- Avian Science in Action: Blue-throated Macaws (.pdf)
- Avian Science in Action: Lear’s Macaws (.pdf)
Module 3: Populations
- Avian Science in Action: Gouldian Finch (.pdf)
- Populations Activity: Puerto Rican Parrot (.pdf)
Module 4: Mendelian Genetics
- Mendelian Genetics (.ppt)
- Mendelian Genetics Notes (.pdf)
- Activity (.pdf)
- Activity Reference Sheet (.pdf)
- Activity Data (.pdf)
- Activity Data Key (.pdf)
Module 5: Ecological Terminology